Re: Reserved space

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, Theodore Tso wrote:

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 08:49:37PM +0200, beevis libero it wrote:
Thanks for clarification. So I understand this 5% is reserved in
order to prevent fragmentation.

If you want to be pedantic, to allow ext3's anti-fragmentation
algorithsm to work more efficiently.  It will not (by a long shot!)
completely remove fragmentation, but rather, fragmentation will
increase as you use last 5-10% of the filesystem.  We arbitrarily set
5% as the reserve; UFS (as used in Solaris, BSD, and many other
historical Unix systems) set the reserve at 10%.

	   		     	 	 - Ted