ext3 journaling on flash disk

Hello folks,

I'm using a rather old kernel (2.4.27) that has been working quite well in
an embedded system.

Currently, I am conducting some unclean shutdown tests with different flash
disks and I'm running into fs corruption. I'm using the data=journal mode
for the root and data partitions. I'm mounting with the 'noatime' option.

Would it make sense to go to the latest 2.4 kernel or should I move on to
2.6?

I have three different flash disks and none of them seem to have write
caching, however one of them has the 'Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE' support - what
exactly does that mean?