Can't mount /home anymore

Wolber, Richard C richard.c.wolber at boeing.com
Fri Feb 2 15:31:33 UTC 2007

Before you do this, make double sure you have a backup of your disk
volume. It can, and probably will, damage some or all of your
filesystem.

First you need to find your backup superblocks. You can calculate them
based on the filesystem block size, but I find that it's easier to just
do the following:

[root at server ~]# dumpe2fs  /dev/sda6 | grep Backup
dumpe2fs 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
  Backup superblock at 8193, Group descriptors at 8194-8194
  Backup superblock at 24577, Group descriptors at 24578-24578
  Backup superblock at 40961, Group descriptors at 40962-40962
  Backup superblock at 57345, Group descriptors at 57346-57346
  Backup superblock at 73729, Group descriptors at 73730-73730

Now that you have the backup superblocks, you have to replace the old
superblock with a backup superblock:

e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sda6

Then try to mount the filesystem. If it fails to mount, move on down to
the next backup superblock (24577) and so on, until you run out of
backup superblocks *OR* the filesystem mounts properly.

Once you get it mounted, recover whats left of your files to a safe
place, wipe the drive, reformat it, restore your files and then think
long and hard about getting a decent nightly backup solution in place!

..Chuck..