Help on ext3 file system corruption issue

Andreas Dilger adilger at clusterfs.com
Tue Jun 5 21:35:46 UTC 2007

On Jun 05, 2007  22:01 +0530, Somasundaram, Arun (IE10) wrote:
> I have a Kernel 2.4.7-10 with ext3 file system in compact flash. The
> system was up for 3 months and was running with average load conditions.

Unless you have a support contract with some vendor, nobody will look at
bugs from such an old kernel.  There are a hundred old bugs that might
have been fixed already.

> One fine day, it just started sending kernel messages on the serial
> console. The message was like this.
>

> hda: read_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>
> hda: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=667854,
> sector=163854
>
> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:02 (hda), sector 163854
>
> EXT3-fs error (device ide0(3,2)): ext3_get_inode_loc: unab
>
> le to read inode block - inode=20089, block=81926

This is likely a hardware error.  Probably due to the fact that ext3
is not a good filesystem to use on CF because the journal is always
overwriting the same part of the CF device.  Try something like JFFS2
instead.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger