From: Andreas Dilger [mailto:adilger clusterfs com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 3:06 AM
To: Somasundaram, Arun (IE10)
Cc: ext3-users redhat com
Subject: Re: Help on ext3 file system corruption issue

On Jun 05, 2007  22:01 +0530, Somasundaram, Arun (IE10) wrote:

> I have a Kernel 2.4.7-10 with ext3 file system in compact flash. The

> system was up for 3 months and was running with average load conditions.

Unless you have a support contract with some vendor, nobody will look at

bugs from such an old kernel.  There are a hundred old bugs that might

have been fixed already.

> One fine day, it just started sending kernel messages on the serial

> console. The message was like this.

> hda: read_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

> hda: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=667854,

> sector=163854

> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:02 (hda), sector 163854

> EXT3-fs error (device ide0(3,2)): ext3_get_inode_loc: unab

> le to read inode block - inode=20089, block=81926

This is likely a hardware error.  Probably due to the fact that ext3

is not a good filesystem to use on CF because the journal is always

overwriting the same part of the CF device.  Try something like JFFS2

instead.

Cheers, Andreas

--

Andreas Dilger