semi-formatted partition

Stephen Samuel darkonc at gmail.com
Tue May 29 16:54:25 UTC 2007

well. first things first, I'd take an image of the trashed partition as it
is now, then only play with the image.

dd if=/dev/sda8 of=backup-file bs=1M
losetup /dev/loop2 backup-file

You can then play with /dev/loop2 as if it was your device.

(don't play with the original, if you can afford it.  If worst comes to
worst, and you think it's worthwhile doing, data recovery companies can
sometimes recover the data as it was before the reformat by looking at
residual magnetic domains, so the less writing y ou do the better).

One of the things that I see is that, if lost+found has already been
created, then I'm guessing that the format was already substantially
complete, which means that your best hope is probably that you were using a
different FS sizing parameters which would

On 5/28/07, L'âcre d'Anac(h)ronique <anacronique at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I would like to share a little problem with you :
>
> I've lost an 5Gb partition in an installation of Ututo GNU/Linux. It seems
> that the installation script does not took care of my /home and it tried of
> format it. When I saw that my old sda8 partition was being formatted as ext3
> (fast format) I immediately, hard-restart my computer. After a run level 1
> restart, I discovered that it was already formatted: only "lost and found"
> was there. I haven't mount it or check it because I don't want to corrupt
> more the FS. In the forums some guy recommends to remake it with testdisk
> taking the same values for the inode backup table. That's the only hope it
> seems I have. I would like to know if there's a standard procedure to follow
> in this case. I've installed Windows in order to run easyrecovery 6.1 and
> I could recover about 15% of my family photos, but anything else. Any help
> will be so much appreciated.
> Thanks for reading.
>
> --
> L'âcre d'Anac(h)ronique