Big extended attributes

Good evening!

I've recently been running into a space limitation for extended attributes in ext3. I understand that earlier versions of ext3 stored these in the inode record. Is this still the case? Is there any way to allow for more space for extended attributes in an ext3 partition? I know that xfs has no limits on extended attributes, but I have several orthogonal reasons for sticking with ext3.

PS. Please CC me as I am not a member of this list.