remounting ext3 file systems

Hi,

I want to remount a mounted ext3 file system. Typically, the "mount -o
remount <mount-point>" option is used when an already mounted
read-only file system is remounted as read+write. Is it considered
safe to remount a file system already mounted as read+write with open
files that are in use ? I want to change some mount options without
killing processes accessing the file systems and unmounting the file
system or restarting the machine.

Thanks

Hans