Second Block on Partition overwritten with 0xFF

Thu Sep 6 21:02:55 UTC 2007

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Christian Kujau wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Tomas Pospisek ML wrote:
>> default) at 0x400. Thus as I understand it, it *would* be possible for
>> the ext3 driver to pysically write to those first sectors inside its
>> partition.                                                ^^^^^^
>
> Yes, ext3 will write *inside* its assigned partition, but not outside.

Thanks, however it seems I can not get through what I need to know -
sorry for that. I *do* know that ext3 will only write to its partition
only. But once mke2fs has run:

* will ext2/3 *ever* write to the first 4 sectors on *its* partition?

Same question restated: is it possible that ext2/3 will write into the
space before the first block group [1]?

*t

[1] http://web.mit.edu/tytso/www/linux/ext2intro.html
     (chapter "Physical Structure")