Re: Second Block on Partition overwritten with 0xFF

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Christian Kujau wrote:

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Tomas Pospisek ML wrote:
default) at 0x400. Thus as I understand it, it *would* be possible for
the ext3 driver to pysically write to those first sectors inside its
partition.                                                ^^^^^^

Yes, ext3 will write *inside* its assigned partition, but not outside.

Thanks, however it seems I can not get through what I need to know - sorry for that. I *do* know that ext3 will only write to its partition only. But once mke2fs has run:

* will ext2/3 *ever* write to the first 4 sectors on *its* partition?

Same question restated: is it possible that ext2/3 will write into the space before the first block group [1]?

*t

[1] http://web.mit.edu/tytso/www/linux/ext2intro.html
    (chapter "Physical Structure")

  Tomas Pospisek