Re: Shrink ext3 filesystem , running out of inode questions

Hi,

I tried creating a new file system and shrinking it. The inode count reduced after the shrink. So, would shrinking the one filesystem I have with all inode already used create problem? ie. where would the inodes be reallocated after the number of block groups get reduced?

Thanks,
ling

Eric Sandeen wrote:
Ling C. Ho wrote:
Hi,

I have an ext3 file system created with -T largefile4 option. Now it is running out of inode but it's only about 10% full.

- Is there a way now to increase the number of inode without making a new file system?

Growing the filesystem would add more inodes, but it's still not
probably what you want.  You'd still have the same inode::block ratio.

- If not, I am thinking about shrinking the file system, and then use the free up space to create a new file system with more inodes, and move the data over. Since I am already running out of inode, would I still be able to shrink the file system?

Shrinking should not require more inodes; that sounds like a decent plan.

-Eric

Thanks,
ling