EXT3 filesystem data mode

Sheel Raj sheelraj at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 19:59:31 UTC 2008

Hi all

Here's my 2 questions about linux ext3 filesystem

1. How do I identify which data mode[writeback, ordered. journal] is
being used by the filesystem on my machine.
I checked /etc/fstab and /etc/log/messages and could not get any info
from there. I know 'tune2fs' can be used to set the modes, but I would
like to know which mode is it in, before setting up any.

2. In either of the data modes, which method or utility would you
suggest to secure erase/delete files and directories, so that they are
not recovered by any means.

Any reply, reference regarding my questions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Sheel Raj