How to sell linux tools?

bimal pandit bimal_pandit at rediffmail.com
Tue Dec 16 08:45:12 UTC 2008

Dear Lakshmi Pathi,

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 lakshmi pathi wrote :
>Yes ....Even i like  free stuffs :) ...But how could an Linux/open
>source programmer earn money for living?
>
>Cheers,
>Lakshmipathi.G
>

>On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 12:36 PM, William Tambe <tambewilliam at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You know we like free stuff right?
> >
> > lakshmi pathi wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >> I need clarifications on how to sell linux tools. (Though i' not sure
> >> how people ready to buy it :) )
> >> I have written few tools and planning to write more(by giving up
> >> current non-linux & boring job).
> >> I want to know,which license will allow me to sell tools/softwares? (I
> >> hope to sell the products through online)
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Lakshmipathi.G
> >> www.giis.co.in

>--
>Cheers,
>Lakshmipathi.G

I feel that you should adopt any two of the following models that I have seen generally people use ... while working on OSS...

1) Look for consultation services and specilised services from companies, people etc. as per the domain of your expertise.

2) Provide some extra and good features in your tool and mark them available only with the "Commercial Version" of the tool.

hope this will be of some help to you.

regards,

Bimal Pandit