Re: read() on a deleted file

Most likely??!
Until you delete all links and  close all open file descriptors and the Inode is deallocated, you are GUARANTEED to get a different inode if you create a new file (of any name).

On Jan 3, 2008 4:46 AM, Hayim Shaul <hayim iportent com> wrote:
On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 16:42 +0530, Fasihullah Askiri wrote:
> Thanx for the response. That is why I tried shred-ding the file. I
> believe that shred overwrites the file inode, if so, shred should have
> led to failures of read() which is not the case. How does that happen?

What do you mean by re-writing?
Do you mean opening a new file with the same name and writing into it?

i don't think the new file (necessarily) gets the same inode as the file
you deleted.
More specifically, while the inode of the "deleted" file still exists,
the new inode would most likely to be different.

--
Stephen Samuel http://www.bcgreen.com
778-861-7641