debugfs question: What does "expand" do?

Hi,

What does the "expand_dir" command do in debugfs?
All the information I can find on it just says "Expand the directory filespec" I googled the archives and can't find a post where someone actually used it to give me some context. If I try it in debugfs (image opened ro) it seems to want to write to the image.

I'm having a bit of a stack underflow here, please help.
Thanks in advance,

Charles