Re: 2GB memory limit running fsck on a +6TB device

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 08:59:08AM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > Note that putting '/var/cache/e2fsck' in a memory filesystem is aprox. 3
> > times faster ;-)
>
> ...but, isn't the problem that you don't have enough RAM?  Using tdb+ramfs
> isn't going to be faster than using the RAM directly.

Tmpfs is swap backed, if swap has been configured.  So it can help.

Another possibility is to use a statically linked e2fsck, since the
shared libraries chew up a lot of VM address space.  But in this
particular case, it probably wouldn't be enough.

I think the best thing to do is this case to use a 64-bit kernel and a
64-bit compiled e2fsck binary.

						- Ted