stride

I am trying to understand the stride option for ext3 .

If I am using a Hardware RAID (3ware) with 6 disks and I decide to go with RAID 5 with stripe of 128KB (default on my controller) and no spare.
By reading documentation I should do 128/4 as my stride size when creating the file system. I am not understanding how this number works and what exactly stride does. Can someone care to explain this to me?

TIA