"Write once only but read many" filesystem

Peter Teoh htmldeveloper at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 15:55:53 UTC 2008

Thank you for your reply :-).

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Jörn Engel <joern at logfs.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 March 2008 22:52:12 +0800, Peter Teoh wrote:
>  >
>  > what are the difference in terms of final features provided by these
>  > two different filesystem?   what is this "garbage collection"?   u
>  > still have features like creating different directories, and creating
>  > different files, and writing the files?   How about setting the file
>  > attributes...it should be set before writing right (so that after
>  > writing and handle is closed it becomes permanently not
>  > modifiable)..but creating a subdirectory below the current dir should
>  > be possible right (even after closing the previous directory)?
>
>  Your requirements aren't quite clear to me.  Do you want the complete
>  filesystem to be read-only after being written once?

YES....

>   Or do you want individual files/directories to be immutable - chattr?

chattr is not good enough, as root can still modify it.   So if
current feature is not there, then some small development may be
needed.

>  And in either case, what problem do you want to solve with a read-only filesystem?

Simple:   i want to record down everything that a user does, or a
database does, or any applications running - just record down its
state permanently securely into the filesystem, knowing that for sure,
there is not way to modify the data, short of recreating the
filesystem again.    Sound logical?   Or is there any loophole in this
concept?

In summary, are there any strong demand for such a concept/filesystem?
  I may take the plunge to implementing it, if justfiable and
everybody is interested..:-)...

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh