needs help, root inode gone after usb bus reset on sata disks

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Thu May 29 21:20:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 10:15:08PM +0200, Jelle de Jong wrote:
> I did the following:
>
> debugfs -w /dev/sda1
> debugfs: features dir_index filetype sparse_super
> debugfs: quit
>
> then i run
>
> e2fsck -nf /dev/sda1
>
> to see if it still wanted to relocate inodes. This was not the case
> anymore, however it still wanted to relocate the root inode...
>
> I then run:
>
> e2fsck -f /dev/sda1
>
> and manual answer yes to the question until i had to enter a lot of "y"
> (see logs) and killed the program with ctrl-c

what answers did you answer yes to?  I don't have a log of your
"e2fsck -f /dev/sda1" run, and so I can't tell what happened.  The
e2fsck -fy run you gave me was large, but information-free, since it
just had pass #5 messages regarding adjusting accounting information.

If it was just deleting the root inode (because it was corrupted), and
creating a new root inode, that doesn't explain why all of the inodes
disappeared, unless the inode table had somehow gotten completely
zero'ed out

At this point, what I would probably suggest is that you run

	e2image -r /dev/hda1 - | bzip2 > hda1.e2i.bz2

... and put it someplace where I can download it and take a look at
what the heck happened to your filesystem.

By the way, please look at the "script" command ("man script"); it is
very handy for capturing a record of what an interactive session with
a program like e2fsck.

							- Ted