journal on an ssd

Holger Hoffstaette holger at wizards.de
Wed Sep 10 15:31:53 UTC 2008

Another followup..

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:30:45 +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> Recently we added an SSD to our setup and have moved all the journals to
> this ssd. This has dramatically improved performance and especially
> reduced the interdependence between performance of different partitions
> hosted on the same RAID.
>
>  http://insights.oetiker.ch/linux/external-journal-on-ssd.html

You mention that you chose data=journal, i.e. full journaling. Have you
tried ordered mode as well? This should still yield a significant
performance win because of reduced head movement and faster metadata
writes. It may or may not be faster depending on the size of the
written data itself..I'm just curious if you tested this.

thanks
Holger