Re: EXT3 file recovery

Hi all,
Thanks to get such fast and useful replies. I would like to ask one more that
Can some one tell me where to find the code for the procedure 'delete'. ie the code that runs when a file is deleted from an ext3 filesystem.. where is this code placed.
Regards
Ranju.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Theodore Tso <tytso mit edu> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 05:39:07AM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Apr 28, 2009  22:08 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 06:15:59 +0530,
> >   ranjith kannikara <ranjithkannikara gmail com> wrote:
> > > HiI am a pre-final year computer science engineering student. We are doing
> > > an open source project to make an application to recover the deleted files
> > > in an ext3 filesystem. In between we are having some doubts can any one make
> > > some clarification?
> >
> > A good start would probably be to look at what ext3grep does.
>
> A good finish would be to take ext3grep and enhance it to do more than it
> currently does (e.g. add ext4 support) instead of making a duplicate tool.

Note that converting it to use libext2fs would for more of its
low-level functions would be one of the easier ways of accomplishing
this, since all of the low-level extent manipulation functions are
coded in libext2fs.  On the other hand, you'll learn more about the
low-level filesystem layout if you do it yourself; sone one is
probably better from an engineering perspective in terms of making a
robust and useful and long-term more easily maintained tool --- and
the other approach is better from a pedagogical perspective.

                                   - Ted

--
http://www.ranjithkannikara.blogspot.com/