How to optimize ext3/ext4 file system performance?

Hi,
I want to create ext3FS or ext4FS with it's maximum performace.

I thought about below points (If i'm wrong please let me know ) :

1)Using writeback mode .
2)Use larger block size (8K)
3)Enable noaccess time, in fstab.

I'm not sure about below option,but i read,its about directory optimization.
4)e2fsck -D -f /dev/sda

Anyother tips to optimize the file system?  I'm planning to spend
sometime with "Linux From scratch" in comings days.
So I want "my" system to have better performace  :)

Lakshmipathi.G