Ubuntu Ibex on single SATA Seagate disk, ext3

I'm having a strange problem I've never seen before.  Sometimes my system crashes, and upon restart I am missing *at least* a handful of files.  They are completely gone and untraceable.  At first I forced fsck on reboot, and that helped recover some of them, but the problem continues.  I have no clue even where to start tracing this.  Can anyone help?  The system is a new AMD Phenom on a SATA Seagate 1Tb disk.  Ubuntu Ibex is the only OS loaded, on ext3 partitioned 5 ways.

My system just crashed today, and now that I'm back up and running there is one file in particular that is completely gone.  I haven't touched this file in months, and it just up and disappeared.

I checked with Seagate to see if my drive was part of the recall, it's not. (so they say)

HELP!