SAN partition with ext3 fs turns read only when shared bet two servers

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 15:12:07 UTC 2009

Ashay Chitnis wrote:
> Dear All,

> 2. What happens when one server has network issue but has not unmounted
> the SAN ? Is this the case why probably my partition becomes read only?

then you have 2 systems writing to the same block device with no
coherency between them, which will corrupt the filesystem, and one
system or the other or both will eventually notice this, throw an error,
and go readonly (if you have errors=ro).

You'll need to do something like STONITH (shoot the other node in the
head) before the new node can safely take over.

-Eric