cannot mount ext3 boot partition as r/w since 2.6.30

Giuseppe Sacco giuseppe at eppesuigoccas.homedns.org
Wed May 20 12:02:43 UTC 2009

Hi all,
I am testing new kernel on a mips machine (64 bits for kernel, 32 bits
userland) and I found a problem when mounting the root file system. It
is an ext3 file system that is correctly mounted as read only. While
booting the system remount the file system as read/write and keep
starting all daemons.

Moving from 2.6.26 to 2.6.30 kernel, I get this error while remounting
the file system read/write:
EXT3-fs: cannot change data mode on remount

My /etc/fstab contains this line:
/dev/sda1 / ext3 rw,errors=continue,data=ordered,relatime 0 1

According to mount manuale page, "data=ordered" should be the default
value and should be harmless.
Removing option "data=ordered" fix the boot process.

So, this is my question: is this a standard behaviour? is "data=ordered"
no more a default value? What should people do when upgrading their
system to newer kernels?

Thanks,
Giuseppe