Re: SQLite and ext3 journalling mode

On 12/08/2010 11:56 AM, Richard Hipp wrote:

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Ric Wheeler <ricwheeler gmail com <mailto:ricwheeler gmail com>> wrote:

    On 12/08/2010 06:52 AM, Dan Kennedy wrote:

        Thanks. But to be clear, is data=ordered better than data=writeback
        wrt. data integrity following a power failure?

        Regards,
        Dan.

    Data integrity can mean a couple of different things.

    If you are file system meta-data centric (i.e., a file system developer or
    just worried about having to run fsck after a crash to repair the file
    system), then both options *should* be equivalent.

    If you are one of those annoying users who define data integrity to
    include those annoying details like will my file have garbage in it after
    a crash that will make my DB or other app puke, then data ordered is
    clearly more robust.

Thanks, Ric. Yes, we are numbered among the "annoying users". Based on what you are telling us, we'll recommend that people use data=ordered, barrier=1 for maximum data reliability in the face of power loss.

That is what I do as well - there are use cases and users that prefer the lower latency and can accept the trade offs that come with data writeback or non-barrier use, but I certainly think most users would be better using the settings you have above.

Good luck!

Ric