Re: Is my data checksummed?

On 02/21/2010 09:41 PM, tytso mit edu wrote:
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 08:15:30PM -0800, Reza Roboubi wrote:
What checksumming is done for the actual data?  I know that storage
devices often do their own checksumming too, but how can I be sure
my data is integrity checked every time I read it?
If you use disks that support the Data Integrity Field (DIF)
extension, Linux will use it to provide end-to-end data checksum
support.  Otherwise, there are checksums on the disk and between disk
controller and the CPU, but those are obviously not end-to-end
checksums.

Just to be clear, even with a storage path that supports DIF/DIX, we don't currently do anything for applications on top of file systems. The primary application to target storage path is covered mainly for raw devices.

ric

Adding data-level checksums is not something that we are planning on
adding to the ext2/3/4 file systems.  BTRFS is the only file system
that has data-level checksums, but it's not yet production ready.

Best regards,

					- Ted