Re: Is my data checksummed?

On 02/23/2010 04:56 AM, Reza Roboubi wrote:
Thanks a lot for all the responses.

Ric Wheeler wrote:
On 02/21/2010 09:41 PM, tytso mit edu wrote:
If you use disks that support the Data Integrity Field (DIF)
extension, Linux will use it to provide end-to-end data checksum
support. Otherwise, there are checksums on the disk and between disk
controller and the CPU, but those are obviously not end-to-end
checksums.

Just to be clear, even with a storage path that supports DIF/DIX, we
don't currently do anything for applications on top of file systems.
The primary application to target storage path is covered mainly for
raw devices.

Sorry Ric,

The last sentence loses me. I mean, I know what raw devices are! :)
Would you please elaborate a little.

Reza.

Sorry for the confusion. It confuses me now that I try to reread it as well :-(

What I was trying to say is that in this first implementation, the only applications that can take advantage of DIF/DIX extra data protection will need to do it all themselves and will need to use raw devices (no file systems).

Oracle's DB will be a likely candidate as will a very few other sophisticated applications.

Note that the other mode of operation (HBA -> target storage device) is invisible and will work for everyone. It just does not protect against data corruption higher in the stack (above the HBA/device driver).

ric