kjournald blocked in D state

Mike Miller mike.miller at hp.com
Mon Jun 21 16:46:16 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 12:44:37AM -0700, Christian Kujau wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 at 11:08, Mike Miller wrote:
> > I have a system on which kjournald becomes blocked in D state quite often.
>
> Did this happen "just now", or after a kernel upgrade? Which kernel are
> you using? Do other systems (with the same kernel?) show similar
> behaviour?

The kernel is a 2.6.9 variant. According to the user 2.6.9-89 exhibits the
problem. Kernel 2.6.9-78 does not appear to exhibit the problem.

Aside from that I've seen the the symptoms written against 2.6.18 and 2.6.32
kernels. It's not easy to reproduce. The customer is using clusters of 50+
nodes all using internal storage. AFAIK, they are not sharing filesystems
between nodes.

The driver differences between the 2 kernels are minimal with nothing in the
main code path.

-- mikem