fstab Pass Column and forced disk checks

Kyle Brandt kyle at kbrandt.com
Tue Mar 9 17:10:16 UTC 2010

If I have the 6th column in fstab (the pass column) set to 0, does that mean
disk checks will never be forced at boot regardless of anything like File
System State, Mount Count, and Check Interval on the file system itself, or
are there exceptions to this?

I know `man fstab` says:
If the sixth field is not present or zero, a value of zero is returned and
fsck will assume that the filesystem does not need to be checked.

But I wasn't sure if the fsck might be triggered in other ways during boot.

Thank you,
Kyle Brandt
http://www.kbrandt.com