Ext4 File System: newbee question

Hello,

I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 and it has ext4 filesystem. I have one very elementary question. When
I say my filesystem is "ext4", which directories are part of it. I mean from the root I can see some
directories such as /proc, /tmp, /dev etc. Are they store on the disk which have formatted with
ext4, of certain files resides somewhere else.

I am only sure only about /home directory because I keep my disk mobile and data goes with me all
the time.

Please execuse me for such a simple question.

Mir