Re: DataBlock information Help

On 2010-03-18, at 16:48, MirJafar Ali wrote:
I am using e2fsprogs and found it very nice. I want to know datablocks for a given a given file. I was going through the document and did lots of google search, but I am not sure what is the best way to get this information. Which "e2fsprogs" function can give all the datablock IDs. There is one function i.e. ext2fs_block_iterate, but I am not sure how it works. It wasn't clear from the
document.

If you use "dumpe2fs -c -R 'stat /path/to/file' /dev/XXX", where /path/ to/file is the filesystem relative pathname, that will dump all of the blocks.

On newer kernels you can also use "filefrag -v" to list the blocks, though the output format is less than ideal right now.

Programatically, on a newer kernel you can use the fiemap() API to get the list of all blocks for any file, regardless of the filesystem type.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group