Re: How to generate a large file allocating space

--On 6 November 2010 12:30:21 -0400 Ted Ts'o <tytso mit edu> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 08:14:56AM +0000, Alex Bligh wrote:

> Patches to do this wouldn't be that hard.  The harder part would
> probably be the politics on fs-devel regarding the semantics of
> FALLOC_FL_EXPOSE_OLD_DATA.

Also presumably there would be some pressure to make it work for
every filesystem that supported fallocate().

No, I don't think so.  There are plenty of file systems that don't
support fallocate(), and it's not a short step to consider adding new
flags which might not be supported by all.

Thanks. I might have a go. Patches to linux-ext4@ ?

Thaks, that's really helpful. Are the extents always the leaves? IE
will next_leaf take me through extent by extent?

Yes, to both questions.

Does your "please don't use this in production" warning apply to
tst_extents.c or to the whole of lib/ext2fs? The library calls
seem quite a good way to get the list of extents and are
presumably what fsck etc. use.

No, only to tst_extents.c.
The libext2fs is designed to be a production-quality codebase, with a
stable ABI.  So feel free to use it in good health.  :-)

Again, thanks for that.

--
Alex Bligh