Re: extcarve - ext2,ext3,ext4 file carving tool

On 2011-06-14, at 12:05 PM, Lakshmipathi.G wrote:
>> Block size:               4096
>
> Yes,your block size same as my test machine -thats fine (4KB should work fine).I  can recommend you to use option "-i" but the option "-g" should recover files upto 48KB(but we are getting only 4KB) . So using option "-i" won't make any difference here.
>
> Files with 4KB size are possible only when extcarve finds header and footer on a single block.Other this, I'm running out of thoughts. I'll try with different data set (test in different environments) and  see whether  I can reproduce this issue.

Since ext3/4 work hard to allocate file blocks contiguously, it makes sense to
assume that after the header blocks the file blocks will be present.  While
this is less likely to be true as the file size increases, for ext4 it is
usually true for files smaller than a few MB, which is many of them.

Cheers, Andreas