ext3 with maildir++ = huge disk latency and high load

Andrey basketboy at bk.ru
Sat Sep 24 17:46:49 UTC 2011

Sure, indexing is on by default on Debian ext3. I think I'll try to test
some cases an run bonnie++ on freesh HP server with the same configuration.

Also I have maildir with more than 10000 messages an don't have
timesouts and access problesm via IMAP to it, that's strange. Sometimes
I notice that copying message to Sent folder can wait a little but it's
a seldom issue but can corellate with it, I agree. Also I see in Exim
logs that DT (delivery time) is equal to more than 2 seconds although
user's maildir is almost empty, so I intend to that it is a primary
problem of whole ext3 system or RAID5 hardware.