ext3 with maildir++ = huge disk latency and high load

Andrey basketboy at bk.ru
Thu Sep 29 07:29:42 UTC 2011

Ok. Here are bonnie results on fresh installed Debian with 200GB FREE
ext3 /home partitition (4 disks in RAID5 on HP Proliant DL380 G4 server):

Version  1.96  ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
Concurrency   1     -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block--
--Seeks--
Machine        Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP
/sec %CP
debian           2G   243  97 22555  10  8794   2  1810  97 120444  11
317.0   5
Latency               135ms     967ms     723ms   26526us   13143us
586ms

Latency is also very bad according results. What is the reason? Hardware
or ext3 itseld? Will try with xfs an ext4 and compare then.