[fab] Google's Summer of Code 2006

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Mon Apr 17 17:59:12 UTC 2006

On Monday 17 April 2006 11:37, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>
wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 12:30 -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > > I havent seen the SoC requirements in their site that contradict what I
> > > suggested would be the ideal procedure to tackle this. If it does
> > > contradict, we are better off doing our own bounties program based on
> > > what we think would work well rather than shoehorn the process into
> > > something that has proven itself a failure.
> >
> > It's not a failure for the students.
> >
> > It's not a failure as far as us getting money out of it ;-)
> >

> I assumed that we are participating as mentoring organizations not
> merely to give intellectual exercises to students but also get useful
> tasks done.

While the results could have been better last year, we did get at least some
value from the program.  In addition to the projects that were started and
abandoned, we also saw new projects emerge that were taken up by the
community even after the developer left, such as Kadischi.  Darko told us
that he would be kept away from the project for his education, and Chitlesh
and other community members have stepped in to push the project forward.
Without Darko, we don't know where our Live CD efforts would be.

Mentoring people as they get started in open source is mutually beneficial,
and even one good project or contributor coming out of the program makes our
participation worthwhile.

That said, under the terms of the SoC, students are able to work on existing
projects to further develop or enhance them, and working on smaller projects
that they are able to fully complete is also allowed.  We can certainly
provide projects that leave us with something that we can work with even if
the developer walks away.  The idea really is to give the students tasks to
complete on their own, which gives them more development experience, but we
can certainly provide them with those tasks even in the scope of larger
projects or in the form of small and simple, but much-needed, projects.

So, do we give Chris our official go-ahead?  :-)

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/