[fab] Split Fedora-Announce-List

Elliot Lee sopwith at redhat.com
Mon Apr 17 18:53:50 UTC 2006

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Warren Togami wrote:

> Fedora-announce-list is broken and difficult to read.  We currently post
> the important announcements on that list, but those are drown out by the
> very numerous package update announcements that happen on the same list.
>
> In order to fix this situation, I propose that we split
> fedora-announce-list in this way.
>
> fedora-announce-list
> 	Announcements of the general Fedora Project go here.  Relatively low
> traffic and no extraneous noise.
>
> fedora-updates-3
> fedora-updates-4
> fedora-updates-5
> 	Distribution specific mailing lists for all package update
> announcements.  If you use FC4, you subscribe to that list and receive
> notifications from Core, Extras and eventually Legacy specific to that
> distribution.  When Core + Extras + Legacy eventually merge into a
> single project, announcements continue going to the distro specific lists.
>
> Thoughts?

The way that worked well for RHL was separating things into a
redhat-announce-list that received just regular announcements, and
redhat-watch-list that received security notices.

I think per-distro update lists is going overboard. A fedora-updates-list
or fedora-watch-list should be fine.

Best,
-- Elliot