[fab] Kadischi : Legal issues

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Tue Apr 18 15:48:27 UTC 2006

This has been an issue for a long time.  I just spoke again with Mark
about it.

Here's the position we want to adopt, and Mark is good with it:

If you build:
  * A Live CD with entirely Fedora (Core+Extras) content;
  * A distribution with entirely Fedora (Core+Extras) content;

...then you should be entitled to use the Fedora name "somehow" to
represent that content.

The "somehow" is not a legal exercise.  It's a BRANDING exercise.  We need
to figure that out, propose it to Mark, and get legal's blessing.

We need to answer some hypothetical questions, like for instance:

Rex puts together a Whole New Distro, built entirely of Fedora
(Core+Extras components), that has just KDE and no GNOME.

  a. Does he call it:
    + Fedora KDE?
    + RexKDE, based on Fedora?
    + KDExcellent, a Fedora distribution?

  b. Does he need our approval, or is that approval implied
     by the fact that it's all Fedora components?

Once we successfully answer these branding questions, we can close the
issue.

--g