[fab] Re: Kadischi : Legal issues

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Tue Apr 18 17:09:56 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 01:02:07PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> Which brings us to the OEM vendor issue which I talked to you (Greg)
> about a few months ago.  Vendors want to pre-install the popular distro,
> things that people know, say Fedora.

When you say OEM and Vendors here, I presume you don't mean any of the
large hardware vendors (Dell, IBM, HP, ...), as none of these, due to
their product reseller relationships with Red Hat, distribute Fedora
as a product (Fedora is not a product...).

> However they also want to be able to value-add to their customers,
> such as hardware tools (Raid managers), support tools (click me to
> get customer support), modules for new hardware, etc...  These types
> of things would normally cause the vendor to have to go the route of
> removing logos and calling it something else, thus confusing the
> customer base.
>
> Instead I would really like to see an OEM program where they can still
> call it Fedora, or Fedora Plus or something along those lines, and still
> use the Logo.

Clearly hardware vendors do this with RHEL today, it must be a
solvable issue (or a non-issue).

Thanks,
Matt