[fab] Re: Kadischi : Legal issues

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Apr 18 17:15:58 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 12:09 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> When you say OEM and Vendors here, I presume you don't mean any of the
> large hardware vendors (Dell, IBM, HP, ...), as none of these, due to
> their product reseller relationships with Red Hat, distribute Fedora
> as a product (Fedora is not a product...).

Yes, I'm speaking of the smaller hardware vendors, like Pogo Linux, or
Penguin Computing.  Vendors that are too small to have a beneficial
reseller relationship with Red Hat and must pay full price for their
entitlements.

> > However they also want to be able to value-add to their customers,
> > such as hardware tools (Raid managers), support tools (click me to
> > get customer support), modules for new hardware, etc...  These types
> > of things would normally cause the vendor to have to go the route of
> > removing logos and calling it something else, thus confusing the
> > customer base.
> >
> > Instead I would really like to see an OEM program where they can
> still
> > call it Fedora, or Fedora Plus or something along those lines, and
> still
> > use the Logo.
>
> Clearly hardware vendors do this with RHEL today, it must be a
> solvable issue (or a non-issue).

There may be something in the OEM agreement with Red Hat for RHEL on
what can be added and how.  There is nothing for Fedora now, and I'd
like to get something in place (;  I don't mind driving this either.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora