[fab] project hosting?

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Apr 20 15:08:30 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 09:46 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:

>> I had thought that it was a given that the fedora project absolutely
>> *needed* project hosting.  We have to weigh this need (and possibly not
>> satisfying it with an open-source solution) against the cost of
>> upholding your theoretical ideal.
>
> It is far from clear to me why Fedora needs to provide its own
> infrastructure for itself rather than just use something like Savannah.

Single sign-on (with the rest of fedoraproject.org bits) would be nice,
but I suppose it's not a deal-breaker.  I can live with hosting stuff at
savannah.gnu.org (or savannah.nongnu.org) too.  Ideally, we could host
it ourselves (gna.org/projects/savane), but then we get into the
time/energy/resources problem again.

>> (*) After a quick scan of both fedora.redhat.com and fedoraproject.org,
>> I couldn't find any definition of Fedora's ideals/goals (I'm sure it's
>> there somewhere).  I'll be perfectly happy to shut up if a definitive
>> definition of Fedora and it's goals/ideals exists, that says these
>> ideals apply to Fedora infrastructure as well.
>
> That is what we are trying to define here I believe. You think the
> ideals of providing a Free and open source system doesnt apply to its
> infrastructure. I think it absolutely does. When we reach consensus we
> can write it down somewhere and call it definitive.

I would have to agree that it would send mixed messages to the community
if Fedora didn't eat it's own open-source cake.

-- Rex