[fab] The next board once this board is tired of being the board

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Thu Apr 27 01:21:50 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 23:46 +0200, Christian.Iseli at licr.org wrote:
> kwade at redhat.com said:
> > However, that disturbs the anonymity.  We'd need to code an open application
> > that shows how the authentication confirms that someone exists in the account
> > system and marks that they have voted, while not associating the specific
> > vote with the individual voter.
>
> Is anonymity really a requirement ?  This is all supposed to be "open" after
> all, no?
>
> 					Christian
>
> P.S.: thanks to the kind person who took the trouble of adding me to this ml.

open is not the same as not private.

secret ballots are important b/c then no one's feelings are involved.

If my ballots are going to be open to the people running then I'd be
afraid of NOT voting for someone who is my friend. Additionally, my vote
for who is in charge could be used against me if the person elected
isn't very good.

Read up on the value of secret ballots for general elections.

-sv