[fab] Fedora as Free Software?

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Thu Apr 27 02:12:14 UTC 2006

On Apr 21, 2006, Michael Tiemann <tiemann at redhat.com> wrote:

> I think the main thing is declaring it to be free software ourselves.
> We miss the mark by not actually saying it explicitly.

Yes, this is indeed the main point, as far as I understand it.  I
often tell people that, even though I do believe Fedora contains only
Free Software, I cannot promote it, because its policy allows non-free
software to go in, even if it's just a theoretical threat.

Consider that someone might be aware of the differences between the
OSD and the FSD and design a license specifically for the purpose of
passing the OSD and not passing the FSD.  Fedora, per its current
guidelines, might accept such a project, and at that point, it would
no longer be free, and any work we (FSFs) might have done promoting
Fedora would have to be undone, *if* we noticed the problem, which
would be tricky in itself given that it wouldn't require any changes
in policy.

So, yes, saying it explicitly is probably the most important thing to
enable all of us FSFers to realize that Fedora is indeed committed to
the same goals as we are, such that we can help Fedora verify that
Fedora is already purely Free Software and, if not, help it become,
such that we can then endorse it and promote it.

I enclose below an e-mail I sent Max Spevack a while ago, when he was
drawning in Fedora Foundation work, which is probably why I never got
a reply.  It probably helps figure out the sort of stuff we're after.
Compliance and committment with the FSD is the most important of all;
the other issues are still important, but not as important as the main
issue.

Of course, if Fedora were willing to switch to a Free Software focus,
as Michael suggested, that would make the secondary matters much
simpler, but if not, we're very close to what I ask below as we stand
anyway.