[fab] [Fwd: Free software and Fedora: Dissected]

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri Aug 4 14:48:19 UTC 2006

TC> While I don't disagree with you, it is unique. I wasn't examining
TC> what I believe to be free, I was checking our tree against what
TC> the FSF agrees to be free.

I would figure the Open Source Definition would apply:
http://opensource.org/docs/definition.php

Still, two things immediately bother me about the license:

---
III. SCOPE OF LICENSE

Mere aggregation of Public Use works or a portion of a Public
Use work with other works or programs on the same media shall
not cause this license to apply to those other works. The aggregate work
shall contain a notice specifying the inclusion of the Public Use
material and appropriate copyright notice.
---

The last sentence is troubling because it's not immediately clear what
satisfies it.  Does merely including a copy of the license as a
package would normally do suffice?

In addition:

---
IV. REQUIREMENTS ON MODIFIED WORKS

All modified versions of documents covered by this license, including
translations, anthologies, compilations and partial documents, must meet
the following requirements:

   1. The modified version must be labeled as such.
   2. The person making the modifications must be identified and the
      modifications dated.
---

So are anonymous modifications permitted?  It would seem to be overly
restrictive otherwise.

 - J<