[fab] Fedora Logo Proposal

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 23:42:12 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 18:25 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> OK, we've danced around this for a while.  Lots of good suggestions, but
> no one has really taken ownership of this -- largely because it's kind of
> hard to do, especially if you're not @redhat.com.
>
> So I sat down with Max today and we worked through some of the issues.  We
> came up with a proposal to settle these issues once and for all.  The goal
> is to have an actionable plan, that everyone agrees with, that we can
> implement quickly.
>
> If everyone agrees, I'll take it to counsel asap and we'll work out
> details.

This looked pretty good to me... a couple issues following:

> Deliverable #0: Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).
>
> It all starts here.  We need to nail down *exactly* what usages of the
> logo are allowed, and exactly what usages are not allowed.  This may take
> further debate, but here's a start:
>
> LOGO USE AND SOFTWARE REDISTRIUBTION.  The logo may be used by:
>   * Anyone who redistributes Fedora Core as-is.  No permission required.
>   * Anyone who redistributes any functionally complete subset of packages
> from the Fedora Universe -- also known as an "official Fedora derivative".
> No permission required.
>   * People who are redistributing something based on Fedora, but who are
> NOT following the above redistribution guidelines, may NOT use the Fedora
> logo.  If they choose to use the text "based on Fedora," we won't stop
> them.
>
> LOGO USE FOR PROMOTIONAL PURPOSES.  The logo may be used by:
>   * WEBSITE USE.  Anyone who is using Fedora or its official Fedora
> derivatives may advertise this fact using the Fedora logo.
>   * SCHWAG.  Only members of the Fedora Ambassadors project may put the
> Fedora logo on physical promotional items.
>
> MISCELLANEOUS USES.  If a user wishes to use the logo for a reason not
> enumerated, users may appeal directly to "logo at fedoraproject.org" for
> special dispensation to use the Fedora logo.

There are logo usage guidelines on the Wiki that you may want to look
at.  Some of them may make it harder for people to use the logo in an
attractive, individual, and aesthetically pleasing manner.  Should those
guidelines, or a revision thereof, be part of this policy?  Can they be
revised, and if so, who has the authority to do it?

> Deliverable #1: Fedora Logo Wizard.
>
> We'll develop our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) based on simple questions
> and a decision tree.  Something like this:
> (clippy) I see you'd like to use the Fedora logo!  Would you like some
> help?

Neat.  The click-through should make it clear -- on every question, if
need be -- that the click-through's failure to address a situation does
not mean you get to automatically use the logo.

> Deliverable #3: A Fedora Logo Project.
>
> This is beginning to look like a must-have.  Everybody wants to play
> around with the logo for various reasons, all of them perfectly good
> reasons.  They want a "powered by Fedora" button for their web server.  Or
> they want a Fedora theme that incorporates their LUG logo as well.
>
> When we find a modified Fedora logo, here are our choices:  1. ignore it,
> in which case we're not policing the mark; 2. prohibit it, in which case
> we look like fascists; or 3. adopt it or explain in a friendly way why
> it's not appropriate.  Option 3 is by far the best, but it requires a body
> that can serve effectively as arbiters, and is empowered to do so.
>
> My guess: this would be a subproject of the Fedora Art project.

Sounds good.  There's already been one or two "unofficial logos"
proposed there that were (IMHO) really hideous.  Letting the good guys
use the real logos in acceptable ways should head off the need for
people to mutate what I think is a pretty good design into something
awful.