Fedora account expiry (was: Re: [fab] JBJ considered harmfull)

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Tue Aug 8 19:47:06 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 10:12 -0400, Max Spevack wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
>
> > Do we really want to wait that long?
>
> I was hoping it would be done by now, and that it wouldn't be a long wait.
> The purpose of what Bill and Will were talking about doing was stopping
> non-Fedora maintainers or QA folks, basically, from closing Fedora bugs,
> which is a major problem with what JBJ is doing.

(Please note that JBJ is not on the 'fedorabugs' list, so this
discussion has nothing to do with him.)

> From an engineering perspective, is that going to take a long time?

It's not a difficult task, but I think I am a bit unclear on the
criteria. I thought I was supposed to be looking up *inactive* accounts,
for which I need to do some database magic to look at the last time
people modified bugs etc.

But the more I think about it, the less sure I am that I understand the
criteria. Here's two big questions:
1) Under what conditions should someone's bugzilla access be revoked?
2) If a user is determined to be inactive, shouldn't their CVS access
etc. be revoked as well?

Basically, I think we need to set up a way to mark Fedora Contributor
accounts as 'inactive', and we need to decide on some conditions under
which your account gets deactivated. Maybe:

- 6 months of inactivity (defined as: no CVS checkins, no bugs changed,
no packages built)
- Flagrant disregard for the well-being of the project

Or something. I'm working with the fedora-admin guys on figuring out how
to query the databases and deactivate accounts. Please let me know what
criteria we should use to do so.

-w