[fab] Re: "community maintainers working on core" dilemma

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Wed Aug 9 23:47:40 UTC 2006

Warren Togami wrote:
> The Core+Extras merge combined with the move to a distributed VCS
> would allow something like this.
> [...]
> 4) Entire SIG's could own packages group.

I think this is an extremely important point.

Not only is it easier for new contributors to jump right into a smaller
special interest group and start getting things done, but having more
eyes on each problem is a Good Thing.  The benefits of having groups of
contributors maintaining packages is really shown in projects like
Gentoo (/me puts on his flame suit), where their "herds" collectively
maintain groups of packages.  Ideally, this also helps reduce some of
the weight that is put on the handful of devs who do the majority of
sponsoring and mentoring of new developers, allowing each group to grow
independent of one another.

I think we need something beyond just a web front end to a bunch of
pre-existing tools which have been around before community development
models.  We need the ability to allow a large community of developers to
easily poke and prod at packages, while still retaining some level of QA
sanity.  I would like to see a web based development framework where
developers can view detailed information regarding each update for every
package.  Pushing out an update would maybe require the approval of n
core/SIG developers, who can comment on any patch or line of code.
Testing the package could be as simple as selecting the patches you
want, and clicking a button to get a customized SRPM.  Once approved, a
button can kick the package off to the build system (and do all of the
pushing/announcements/etc).  With this, we would get the metrics
(package and developer), the collaboration, metadata, and the QA.

luke