[fab] slashdot question: dependencies

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Aug 10 16:55:46 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 21:53 +0530, Rahul wrote:

> Well normally users would just get the desktop desktop set which
> includes both Evince and nautilus and the extension package when its
> split up. When the user is installing Evince is say KDE manually then
> they dont require nautilus or its property pages and should be allowed
> to install it separately.

Yes, this is the part that can be done in the installer.  Stuff that is
not included in those sets and/or is installed afterwards with possibly
other tools that are not aware of installer groups would benefit from
something more, such as Enhances/Suggests.  I don't think this is a
blocker for the idea of splitting more in general where it makes sense,
though.