[fab] [Fwd: What is the mkisofs license?]

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 20:03:40 UTC 2006

On 8/14/06, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> Rahul wrote:
> > Rex Dieter wrote:

> >> AFAIK, no one has proposed/sugggested so far that Fedora's packaging
> >> guidelines require FSF license compliance (instead of simply
> >> opensource.org ) yet.
> >>

> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2006-April/msg00170.html
> >

> > I have independently done the same to the board. I would like to know if
> > others support this or not.
>
> Offhand, I'd say -1, status-quo is sufficient.  My mind isn't set in
> stone though... I'm just not yet convinced that there would be
> sufficient tangible benefit to outweigh the (possible) loss of
> non-FSF-compliant bits.

I would like a FC7 goal of having at least the spec files patched to
use the same 'terms' in every License: tag. GPL, Gnu Public License
V2, etc makes a job for someone who has to look at these things for a
'site' harder. I would like to have the terms to be standardized a bit
more to something like:

License: GPL (see COPYING for complete versions)
License: Various (see LICENSES for versions and files applied)

etc. That way a person can go see that the license(s) is there, what
file(s) are it in etc.

Having each packager go through that rigamarole might have them think
: "Hmmm this code turns out to be CDDL/GPL/SCO combined code. Maybe I
should find something else."