[sundaram at fedoraproject.org: Re: [fab] [Fwd: What is the mkisofs license?]]

Thomas Woerner twoerner at redhat.com
Fri Aug 18 09:15:57 UTC 2006

> From: Rahul <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>
> Subject: Re: [fab] [Fwd: What is the mkisofs license?]
> To: fedora-advisory-board at redhat.com
> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 21:45:22 +0530
>
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> I suspect the number of users/developers that would migrate due
>> to the 'fully FSF free' addition over just 'fully open source' would
>> be minimal at best - the biggest bang is going the 'fully open source'
>> route.
>>

> If it's just a issue of popularity, we might just agree with ESR .
> Anyway it is better to know what we would lose in terms of packages or
> other issues rather than talking about it abstractly.
>
> Lets run the analysis and get the results. openmotif for example isnt
> even a open source license
>
> http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif/faq.html

Please have a look at the openmotif license. I do not think, that this
is really a problem:

--- excerpt ---
2. GRANT OF RIGHTS
The rights granted under this license are limited solely to distribution
and sublicensing of the Contribution(s) on, with, or for operating
systems which are themselves Open Source programs. Contact The Open
Group for a license allowing distribution and sublicensing of the
Original Program on, with, or for operating systems which are not Open
Source programs.
--- excerpt ---

Thomas